WHAT IS THE OPEN BITE TREATMENT DEVICE?
This medical device has been designed for the treatment of open bite malocclusion and performs the following functions:
- The lateral bite planes which the patient will bite on stimulate the masticatory muscles. If these muscles gain tone, the posterior teeth in occlusion will intrude and the vertical posterior dimension of occlusion will diminish.
- Control the forward thrust of the tongue with the device’s anterior shield.
WHEN AND HOW TO USE THE OPEN BITE TREATMENT DEVICE?
Guidelines to ensure that the MFS open bite treatment device is correctly used:
1. Select the open bite device size taking the measurement from the mold of the patient’s dental configuration.
2. The device is placed within the mouth, behind the lower dental arch.
3. The lateral bite planes should cover inferior premolars and molars.
4. A night-time regimen is indicated. Initially, if the patient does not get used to wearing the device during the night, it may be used during daytime.
5. Clinical results will be noticeable after six to twelve months with closing of anterior bite malocclusion.
6. This device may be used in combination with fixed orthodontic appliances.